If you are looking for a healthy alternative to Christmas Cake this year why not try this simple but delicious recipe. It is wheat, gluten dairy and refined sugar free!
3 Cups of mixed dried fruit (soaked overnight in brandy or similar or hot water)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest and juice of an orange
3 tbsp. melted Coconut Oil
3 beaten eggs
2 cups of ground almonds
1 cup of chopped nuts of your choice
1. Line a 10cm cake tin with greaseproof or baking paper cut a circle for the bottom and a strip to line sides, then grease
2. Preheat oven to 150 degrees c
3. In a large bowl mix together dried fruit, spices, vanilla extract, orange zest & juice, melted coconut oil and beaten eggs.
4. Add almonds and chopped nuts
5. Place the mixture in lined tin
6. Bake for 1-1 1/2 hours, keep checking from an hour and test with a skewer to make sure it is baked throughout
7. Remove and allow to cool.